Yuri’s Night 2013 was so huge this year, we had a tough time keeping track of the awesome things that were being done to celebrate space around the globe. To make sure that you’re caught up, here’s an Earth Day update for this year’s Yuri’s Night:
- We had 354 officially registered Yuri’s Night parties, in 57 countries on all 7 continents, making 2013 our second-biggest year of Yuri’s Night ever. This doesn’t count the 60+ “landing parties” for the Curiosity rover that we celebrated last August with Explore Mars and The Planetary Society…
- …and speaking of Curiosity, “she” celebrated our first ever Yuri’s Night party on another planet with a message via social media
- We also had a video greeting from astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded on the International Space Station
- Buzz Aldrin, YN co-founders Loretta and George Whitesides, and Bobak “Mohawk Guy” Ferdowsi partied under the Space Shuttle Endeavour at our flagship Los Angeles party, aired live by Spacevidcast
- And other awesome parties happened everywhere from Batman, Turkey to Harvard to San Francisco to Germany, South Africa, the Maldives, and beyond.
Some fantastic groups from inside and outside of the space industry joined us to help celebrate the World Space Party:
Behind the scenes, the Yuri’s Night Global Team has kept more than busy bringing Yuri’s Night to the world. In the last year, the volunteers behind the Global Team have:
…and so, so much more. We could easily make this twice as long, but we’ll cut ourselves off here; check back later this week for our wrapup post looking at Yuri’s Night in the news!